Plastic Pollution is a very real and growing threat to human health, it's time to choose the green alternative: bamboo.
At the "High-level Dialogue on Global Development" on the sidelines of the 14th BRICS meeting, China will jointly launch the "Bamboo as a Substitute for Plastic" Initiative with INBAR to reduce plastic pollution, address climate change, and contributing to a global sustainable development.
Xinhua News Agency Reporter: Rao Aimin
Reducing plastic use from the source is an effective way to reduce plastic pollution, so why can we use bamboo instead of plastic?
1. Bamboo is the fastest-growing plant on Earth. In fact, moso bamboo can grow almost a metre in a single day.
2. Bamboo is a highly renewable, natural material. It will constantly reproduce itself, even after harvesting, new shoots will continue to sprout from its extensive root system without having to replant.
3. Bamboo is widely grown in many different kinds of environments (China, Africa, South America, USA). Bamboo covers more than 50 million hectares of forestland around the world.
World Bamboo distribution
4. Bamboo has antibacterial, and biodegradable properties, while plastic can take up to 1000 years to biodegrade and is the leading cause of mass pollution all over the world.
5. Industrial bamboo products have a small carbon footprint or can even be carbon negative.
6. From kitchenware to household items to decorative settings, bamboo is widely used and can replace plastic products in many fields.